Infographic: Apply for Your California Substitute Teaching Permit in 7 Easy Steps

Apply Your California Substitute Teaching Permit in 7 Easy Steps
Cross Country Education
May 03, 2023 06:15 AM (GMT-05:00)
Educator Resources

Getting Your CTC Sub Permit

So, you want to be a substitute teacher in California? We’re excited for you! It’s a wonderful way to make a difference in the lives of students. Substitute teaching can be a personally and professionally rewarding way to grow your educational career, especially if you decide to work with Cross Country Education!

Before you can begin as a sub, though, you’ll need to apply for a 30-day substitute teaching permit. We can help. Read on for details or view our new infographic that simplifies the process into 7 easy steps!

About the California 30-day Substitute Teaching Permit

The state of California requires all substitute teachers to obtain a permit through the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC). The most common permit used for subs is the 30-day Substitute Teaching Permit (also called the Emergency 30-day Substitute Teaching Permit, the CTC Sub Permit, or CL-505p). The permit will allow you to:

  • Serve as a day-to-day sub in any pre-K through adult classroom
  • Sub for no more than 30 days for any one teacher (20 days for special education)
  • Work as a sub for one year (after which point you must renew your permit)

How to Apply for Your Substitute Teaching Permit

The details on how to apply are outlined in our infographic, along with helpful links which will take you where you need to go. We even have a webinar you can download and watch first! In short, to apply, you’ll need to:

  • Create a CTC account
  • Complete your application
  • Get fingerprinted
  • Gather your supporting documentation, including transcripts
  • Mail your application packet and fees

Substitute Teaching Permit Application Processing Timeline

When you apply for a permit, you must ensure all information is complete and correct. Otherwise, the status of your application will change from “pending evaluation” to “returned for additional information.” Errors or missing information can severely impact the application timeline. According to the CTC, the processing time for applications fluctuates:

  • Processing times are highest during summer months
  • Mailed paper applications are processed within 50 business days
  • Online renewals or recommendations from an approved program are processed within 10 days
  • Applicants who need applications processed for employment should allow three months before beginning a position
  • Applications are processed in the order they are received, but employing agencies may expedite processing if an educator’s pay or employment is at risk

The permitting process is a critical part of ensuring kids’ have qualified teachers and schools remain safe spaces. We know applying for a permit can feel confusing and overwhelming, particularly if you haven’t applied for a teaching certificate before. The good news is we have resources like our infographic, webinar, and a team of professionals who know the ins and outs of permitting standing by to help! We’re here when you need us.

View the Infographic

Bookmark and Share