The past month has felt like a whirlwind for most, both personally and professionally. Educators have been forced to expeditiously address a multitude of issues, including the adjustment to a temporary virtual teaching environment.
One nationwide trend that is being reported among both teachers and students is a significant decrease in overall morale. The impact of mental health on learning has been expectedly exacerbated during this unprecedented global pandemic.
Consider These Strategies to Help Both Teachers and Students Thrive During COVID-19:
- Conduct structured “check-ins” with students, focusing on their overall well-being
- The California Association of School Psychologists created a comprehensive checklist and flowchart detailing what to do before, during and after the check-in.
- Engage teachers on a virtual breakroom or collaborative communication platform such as Microsoft Teams or a Facebook Group.
- Launch a virtual bulletin board where staff can post inspiring quotes, phrases and breakthroughs or simply give kudos to their colleagues.
- Create student and teacher buddy systems to guide conversations, answer questions and establish a schedule for checking in.
- Implement the student and teacher resources outlined in “Thriving Schools” by Kaiser Permanente, created specifically to address impact of COVID-19.
- Launch Social Media Activities such as Sprit Week, Scavenger Hunts, Daily/Weekly Challenges and Surveys.
- Conduct scheduled wellness and Social Emotional Learning Sessions for students and staff.
- Establish a call line for your staff, students and parent monitored by a mental health professional who can refer to additional resources/supports.
- Hosting virtual gatherings for movie, game and dance night.
- CA Surgeon General Resource-Stress Relief Play Book
- SEL Free Resources/Activities + Virtual Calm Corner Interactive Tool
- CloseGap.org: Great resource for student emotional wellness that also support students who are non-verbal.
Contact us today to discover how Cross Country Education can deliver solutions for your educational staffing needs, during the COVID-19 crisis and beyond.